Middle Years Programme
The IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) encourages students aged 11 to 15 to explore the connections between academic subjects and the real world through experiential learning projects that build critical thinking skills.
The MYP at Amadeus Vienna:
- Encourages international mindedness in IB students, starting with a foundation in their own language and culture.
- Instils a positive attitude to learning by challenging students to solve problems, show creativity and resourcefulness and participate actively in their communities.
- Reflects real life by providing a framework that allows students to see the connections among the subjects themselves, and between the subjects and real issues.
- Supports the development of communication skills to encourage inquiry, understanding, language acquisition, and to allow student reflection and expression.
- Emphasises the development of the whole student through the IB Learner Profile – physically, intellectually, emotionally and ethically
To support our commitment to multiculturalism, our educators come from a diverse range of international backgrounds. All our faculty are highly qualified and experienced in teaching the MYP.
English is the language of instruction at Amadeus Vienna. In addition, all MYP students study at least one other language, choosing from courses in German, French and Spanish. Our students are immersed in a multicultural learning environment which values multilingualism.
A Typical School Day
08:15–15:10/16:00: Core day including breaks, supplementary subjects, and co-curricular programme
15:15–18:00: Extra-curricular activities
Core Subject Areas
Following the IB’s recommended MYP curriculum, our core subject areas are: Language and Literature, Language Acquisition, Individuals and Societies, Sciences, Mathematics, Arts, Physical and Health Education and Design.
Supplementary and Co-curricular Classes
To balance the core curriculum and reinforce skills, our MYP students take a range of supplementary and co-curricular classes, including:
- Performance and Personal Presentation Training (Grades 6–10)
- Learning to Learn (Grades 6–7)
- Personal Project Guidance (Grades 8 and 10)
- Careers Training (Grade 9)
In addition, our MYP students have three credits to select options from our co-curricular programme. Options include:
- Music Theory and Ear Training
- Music Production
- Musical Theatre Training
- Business Management related to the Arts